Wallingford Connecticut
Wallingford Connecticut
A Great New England Town
Home  |  Site Map  |  Phone Directory  |  Small Medium Large  
GovernmentDepartments and AgenciesEconomic DevelopmentAbout Our TownMeetings, Events & NewsLinks
About Our Town:
History and Description
Points of Interest
Driving Directions & Map
Demographics - CERC Town Profile
Holiday Schedule 2013

History and Description

  • On October 10, 1667 the Connecticut General Assembly authorized the “making of a village on the east river” to 38 planters and freemen. The “long highway” located on the ridge of the hill above the sandy plain along the Quinnipiac River is the present Main Street in Wallingford. On May 12, 1670 the bounds were set in the settlement and about 126 people settled in the Town in temporary housing. Six-acre lots were set out and by the year 1675, 40 houses stretched along the street.

  • During the nineteenth century, Wallingford industry expanded with a considerable concentration of small pewter and Britannia ware manufacturers. By mid-century, Robert Wallace acquired the formula for nickel silver and established with Samuel Simpson, R. Wallace & Company the forerunner of Wallace Silversmiths. It was also during this period that many of the small silver and Britannia plants were combined to form the International Silver Company with its headquarters in Meriden and several plants in Wallingford.
  • The Town of Wallingford covers an area of 39.8 square miles astride the Quinnipiac River in northern New Haven County. It is five miles south of Meriden and about thirteen miles north of New Haven. Situated in the Hartford-New Haven corridor, Wallingford is traversed by U.S. Highway Route 5, Interstate 91, State Highways Route 15 (Wilbur Cross Parkway), Route 68, Route 71 and Route 150.
  • Wallingford was incorporated in 1670. A separate Borough of Wallingford was incorporated in 1853 but on June 3, 1957 the Borough and the Town voted to consolidate effective January 1, 1958. The present Town Charter created a Mayor-Council form of government in 1962.
  • Public transportation is provided by Amtrak and by local buses. Freight service is furnished by Conrail and various motor common carriers. Air service is available at Tweed New Haven Airport about thirteen miles away and at Bradley International Airport which is approximately 40 miles north of Wallingford off Interstate 91. The Meriden Airport on the Wallingford/Meriden town line is actively used for private, executive and corporate aircraft.
  • Currently, Wallingford is the twenty-third most populous community of Connecticut’s 169 cities and towns, ranks 21st in terms of 2001 Equalized Net Taxable Grand List ($3,723,201,280) and is 97th in the state in terms of estimated 2002 nominal income per capita ($29,788) of its residents.  Click here to view Wallingford demographics.
  • Wallingford has diversified its commercial and industrial base over the past decade attracting high technology industries as compared to traditional heavy manufacturing. It is the home of a large variety of industries and major corporations spanning the spectrum of the medical, health care, service, hi-tech specialty metal manufacturing and research development. The development of the Barnes Industrial Park, Casimir Pulaski Industrial Park, Wharton Brook Industrial Park, and the South Turnpike Road area have greatly contributed to this transition. The Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, the Town’s largest taxpayer, has established a research and development facility in Wallingford’s MedWay Industrial Park. An Interchange Zone which permits very restrictive commercial development of office parks, research and development centers and hotels has been created at the intersection of Interstate 91 and Route 68.  Click here to visit EDC pages.

Top  |  Print  |  + Share