||Home › About Our Town › Points of Interest
Points of Interest
George Washington made two trips through Town, one in 1775 gathering provisions for his troops and the other in 1789 as President. His route to Durham, known as the George Washington Trail, runs from the center of Town through East Wallingford. Cement markers can be found along the trail.
- Johanna Manfreda Fishbein Park
In 1987 the Park was completely restored. The Park boasts our popular gazebo built in 1986, a popular site for weddings, photographs, and many Town gatherings. Adjacent to the park is the historic Railroad Station, built in 1871 for the Hartford New Haven Railroad. It is an excellent example of Second Empire architecture. Today, rail service is provided by Amtrak.
- Hall Elton Building
Hall Avenue. Built in 1847 this edifice is done in the Second Empire style. It was the home of a number of small silver companies. The building was restored in 1988 and now houses offices.
- Wallace Hose House
9 S. Cherry Street. Erected in 1895 on land donated by local silverware industrialist Robert Wallace, this firehouse offered the growing urban neighborhood professional fire fighting. The tower in which the hoses were hung to dry is a distinctive feature of the building. Since having been vacated by firefighters, it has been converted to offices.
- Center Street Cemetery
Located east of the Johanna Manfreda Fishbein Park. This burial ground may help you understand Wallingford's heritage. Many of our early settlers are buried here, dating as early as 1673.
- Simpson Court Area
This area along with several blocks of North and South Main Streets has undergone a major reconstruction plan. Period lights, wrought iron benches of Victorian design, trees, plantings and unique brick walkways grace the streetscape. Engraved bricks with special messages are interesting to read.
- Town Hall
Built in the Beaux-Arts style as the Town high school in 1916, the building was named after Lyman Hall, a Wallingford native who signed the Declaration of Independence. It was rededicated as our Town Hall in the fall of 1988.
- Judd Carriage House
Located on the Town Hall property to the rear. It is a reminder of the lovely H.L.Judd mansion which was demolished in the 1930s. Its carriage house remains as a reminder of the mansion's Victorian style.
- Choate Rosemary Hall
This magnificent campus situated along Christian and North Elm Streets has many fine examples of architecture. Its Georgian and Modern academic buildings are the work of three famous architects: Robert Polshek, Ralph Adams Cram, and I.M. Pei. This school, founded in 1890, has produced leaders in government, industry and the arts.
- Paul Mellon Arts Center
Christian Street. The Paul Mellon Arts Center is the home of many fine theater productions and art exhibitions. Wallingford is particularly proud of having its own symphony orchestra, which performs throughout the year. The Orchestra is in residence here.
- Lyman Hall's Birthplace
Located next to 355 South Elm Street. Lyman Hall was a prominent citizen of eighteenth century Wallingford. He was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, representing Georgia. The tablet from his Georgia grave is displayed in our Center Street Cemetery.
- Masonic Geriatric Heallthcare Center
Located on Masonic Avenue. It is a multi-licensed geriatric facility founded in 1895. It is situated on a 200-acre hillside overlooking Community Lake Park. The lovely grounds and fountains provide a wonderful setting for the only life-size statue in New England of George Washington in his Masonic garb.
- Gaylord Hospital
Located on Gaylord Farms Road. It was founded in 1902 and is set on 500 acres of land overlooking the Quinnipiac River Valley. The hospital has an international reputation for its long-term rehabilitation facilities, including a transitional living center for traumatically brain injured individuals.
- Britannia Spoon Company Building
Intersections of Routes 68 and 150. It is the site of the original Yale Brothers Mill where Britannia ware was manufactured. The original mill wheel is located on the first level.
- Yalesville Underpass
A 30 degree skew arch at the intersections of Routes 150 and 71. Built in 1838 for the railroad by William MacKenzie, it is reported to be the first skew arch underpass in America. The central arch allowed tall hay wagons to pass through. Today a traffic light coordinates one way traffic.
| | Share